What is TUMSS?
The Tasmanian University Medical Students’ Society (TUMSS) has been representing medical students at the University of Tasmania for over 45 years.
TUMSS is a student run organisation which aims to improve & support the academic & social wellbeing of all medical students across Tasmania. With more than 500 members each year, the society serves to provide the best possible academic and social opportunities for all students.
TUMSS is an affiliated society of the Tasmanian University Student Association (TUSA) and has close ties with the Australian Medical Students’ Association (AMSA), Australian Medical Association (AMA) of Tasmania, and the UTAS School of Medicine.
TUMSS aims to:
- Represent medical students on UTAS committees, providing a student voice on issues of current relevance, therefore allowing students direct input into their medical school & curriculum.
- Liaise with relevant student & professional bodies, including the School of Medicine, AMSA, and the AMA.
- Encourage members to consider their wellbeing, both physical and mental, and the wellbeing of their colleagues.
- Provide members with access to support services, including student mentors.
- Organise social & sporting events for members.
- Provide career information to members on the various medical specialties and vocational training opportunities.
- Promote interaction between medical students in different year groups, on different campuses and from different backgrounds.
- Showcase sponsors’ products & services to members